This lesson will help students to know and remember their multiplication facts. Songs are a
great way for students to remember information. This lesson teaches multiples of 7, but can
be adapted to any number.
Lesson: Multiplication Facts 7X
Grade: 4th & 5th Grade Math
1. The Students will know their multiplication facts 7×2 through 7×9
(7×2, 7×3, 7×4, 7×5, 7×6, 7×7, 7×8, 7×9)
Multiplication flash cards for above facts Copies of words to the song “Times Facts”
1. The teacher holds up a set of flash cards and begins to go over the
multiplication facts of seven with the class.
2. She/he stops and says, “We can try to memorize our sevens this way, but I have a
better idea. I know a song that can help you learn these facts.”
3. The teacher passes out the song “Times Facts” to the class and sings the chorus
once by herself to the class (sung to the tune of “Skip to My Lou”)
4. The teacher then has the class sing the chorus with her using the echo
5. The teacher than sings the first verse with the class using the echo method
6. Once the class gets the tune, the teacher will continue the song verse by verse,
with the chorus sung between each verse.
7. The students will then split up into groups of 2-4 students.
8. The teacher will pass out copies of the song with the 3rd and 4th lines of each verse
9. Within their groups the students will come up with their own rhyming verses to
help them remember their multiplication facts of 7.
10. After the students have worked in their groups for about 15-20 minutes on writing
their own verses to the song, have them quiz each other on the facts of seven and encourage them to use their songs to help them figure out the answer.
The students will learn the multiplication facts 7×2 through 7×9
(Sung to the Tune: “Skip to My Lou”)
Chorus: Times facts, they’re a breeze
Learn a few then work on speed Times facts, you’ll be surprised
By just how fast you can memorize
Verse 1: 2 times 7 is fourteen
Just wait these answers will get mean
3 times 7 is 21
Now at last we’ve just begun
Verse 2: 4 times 7 is 28
Let’s sing what we appreciate
5 times 7 is 35
Yes, by gosh, we’re still alive
Verse 3: 6 times 7 is 42 • •.
Listen to all I’ve learned to do
7 times 7 is 49
Oh my gosh look a the time
Verse 4: 8 times 7 is 56
I have learned so many tricks
9 times 7 is 63
Now please won’t you let me be
*Song “Times Facts Generated from Karen Meese Words to the song “Times Facts” revised by Michelle Preine