Mean Median Mode and
Range - 5th Grade Math Lesson Plan
The following math lesson can be used with intermediate grades. In the following
lesson students shall demonstrate an understanding of how to find mean, median,
mode, and range using their own data. Students will calculate mean, median,
mode, and range with several different types of data including scores,
temperature, and student data.|
Grade Level: Fifth grade
1. Students will know the definitions of mean, median, mode, and range.
2. Students will be able to compute statistics: the mean, median, mode, and
range of a given set of data.
Chart for keeping data on the board
Set of data for practicing mean, median, mode, and range
Worksheet for evaluation
1. Give the students the definitions of mean, median, mode, and range.
2. Go around the classroom and have everyone in the class give me the date of
birthday. For example, if the person's birthday was August 23,1 would write 23
board. Have every student in the class give their birth date and write them
3. Now we will learn about the mean. To find the mean, we will add up all the
and divide by the total number of birth dates. Since this is our first problem,
demonstrate how to do this on the board.
4. The class will now compute the range of the data we have collected. To do
this, we will
find the biggest number in our data and subtract the smallest number from it.
5. Our next step is to learn what a median is. A median is the middle number in
a set of
data. To find this, we cross off a number from each end until we are in the
middle of the data.
6. The final thing we will find is the mode. To find the mode, all we do is look
which number in our field of data is represented the most.
7. Now I will give the students a worksheet with a set of data on it, and I will
ask them to find
the mean, median, mode, and range of this data.
Worksheet with mean, median, mode, and range Observation of students while doing
activity on the board.
IN THE LAST TEN GAMES, THE VIKINGS HAVE SCORED THE FOLLOWING
AMOUNT OF POINTS: 17, 28,14,13, 31, 28, 20, 7, 10, 23. FIND THE VIKINGS'
MEAN,MEDIAN, RANGE, AND MODE FOR THE LAST TEN GAMES.
NOVEMBER 1 TO NOVEMBER 15, HERE WERE THE DAILY HIGH
TEMPERATURES: 45, 51, 56, 62, 62, 49, 51, 55, 62, 55, 53, 46, 44, 41, 38. FIND
THE MEAN, MEDIAN, MODE, AND RANGE OF THE DAILY HIGH TEMPERATURES DURING THIS
Lesson Plans To
Please Original Work Only - No Copyright
or Stolen Material
For Comments &